This is one of those soups that is always a firm favorite in our house no matter what time of year. Let the spiciness of the cayenne pepper warm you up on a crisp winter's day or let the coconut carry you away on a calm mid-summer’s evening. The sweet potato and coconut milk are a match made in heaven; not only do they taste great together but the healthy fat contained in the coconut helps your body to better absorb the Vitamin A found in the sweet potato. When I'm making it for the kids I leave out the cayenne pepper but add about 30g of Quinoa to make it a nutritiously complete meal of carbohydrates, fats and protein. Here’s how I make mine…..Enjoy
1. 1 large sweet potato – roughly cubed
2. 1 medium white onion – roughly chopped
3. 3 garlic cloves – roughly diced
4. 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
5. 1 can coconut milk
6. 200 ml boiling water (or vegetable stock)
7. Himalayan salt & black pepper to taste.
1. Gently sauté the onion, sweet potato and garlic until the onion is soft, being careful not to brown the garlic.
2. Then add the cayenne pepper and stir for another minute.
3. Stir in the coconut milk and bring to the boil.
4. Reduce temperature to a gentle simmer and cover saucepan.
5. Let simmer until sweet potato is soft (approx. 15mins)
6. Puree the soup.
7. Add the water (or vegetable stock) to the consistency that you like.
8. Season to taste.
9. And Enjoy